Pages

Friday 19 July 2013

BOOK REVIEW: My life next door by Huntley Fitzpatrick

Title: My Life Next Door   
Author: Huntley Fitzpatrick
Release date: June, 14th 2012
Publisher: Dial Books
Page Count: 394  
Genre: Contemporary
Source: EBook

Goodreads description

"One thing my mother never knew, and would disapprove of most of all, was that I watched the Garretts. All the time." 

The Garretts are everything the Reeds are not. Loud, messy, affectionate. And every day from her rooftop perch, Samantha Reed wishes she was one of them . . . until one summer evening, Jase Garrett climbs up next to her and changes everything.

As the two fall fiercely for each other, stumbling through the awkwardness and awesomeness of first love, Jase's family embraces Samantha - even as she keeps him a secret from her own. Then something unthinkable happens, and the bottom drops out of Samantha's world. She's suddenly faced with an impossible decision. Which perfect family will save her? Or is it time she saved herself?

A transporting debut about family, friendship, first romance, and how to be true to one person you love without betraying another.

 

 

  ---------------------------------------------------

 

 

  There's no way I could talk about this book without first mentioning the issue it deals with best - sex.

 I hadn't heard much about this book before I read it, but I had heard about the truthful, YA appropriate way in which Fitzpatrick deals with sex in the novel. It's awkward, it's planned, it's sweet, it's perfectly presented within a YA book. 

 

"The Garrets were forbidden from the start. But that's not why they were important."

 

Another issue dealt with extremely well in the novel is that of family. I was actually surprised to find this novel is more about family than romance. I must admit, I had expected this book to be a rush of hormones, teenage angst and heavy-petting, and I couldn't of been happier to be wrong.

 

 

 Samantha Reed's mother is a high class woman. She expects her home, her children and even her hair to exceed expectations at all times. Samantha, on the other hand, just want's to know more about the family next door. The loud, laughter filled Garret house with their many children and relaxed atmosphere is a completely alien kind of concept for Samantha. She may have secretly watched them for years, but she's no closer to knowing them. Not until Jace Garret decides to introduce himself. 

 

"Let's see. Swimming. At night. With a boy. Who's virtually a stranger. And a Garret. It's dizzying how many of my mother's rules this is breaking."

 

 

 

 I loved that Samantha wasn't a typical angst filled character that's determined she is unworthy of the 'hot' boy and too meek to speak to her family about things that matter to her. She was a refreshing character in that she was so normal. Sometimes, though I think I should dare not say it, I find myself not rooting for female MC as they are too whiny, bitchy, angsty, annoyingly cynical etc... Sometimes all that keeps me reading is the cheep thrill of a smile when the hot boy smirks. I know, I know, it's a bad quality of mine, I should just stop reading... However, I didn't get that feeling from this book. I wanted to know how things would work out, even if I did guess the ending fairly quickly. 

 

Another highlight of the novel is Jace, the love interest. He's calm, he's honest, he's refreshingly open with Samantha and doesn't want to hurt her or save her, he just likes the girl next door and isn't afraid to tell her so. He's adorable. 

 

"“Jase?” 
    “Mmm-hmm?” He lifts up on one elbow, his face barely visible in the twilight.
     “You have to kiss me,” I find myself saying.
      "Yeah." He leans closer. "I do.""
 

 

 There were some pits in the novel though. 

 

1) George. 

 

Wait. WAIT. WAAAIIITTT. Don't lynch me yet! I loved George. I loved his personality and his quirkiness, I just didn't believe him. He was four! FOUR! Maybe if he had been aged older, or someone had slipped in the conversation he was a Mensa kid or something... IDK. Great character just needed an age adjustment. 

 

 2)  The twins

 

I never liked Nan. Not her name, not her annoying analytical personality or her boyfriend, the enigmatic Daniel. I did, however love Tim. Tim should have his own novel. Tim was actually my favourite character. Tim was the best. Unfortunately some things regarding his and Samantha's past were left a bit sketchy. I wanted to know why they fell out. I needed more. More Tim. I loved Tim. 


TIM <3











 

Overall I enjoyed the book. It was a quick, light read with refreshing content and interesting characters. I would have liked more in depth exploration of some side characters and less political rally, but that's just me.




So what did you think of this book? Love it? Loathe it? How about my review? Agree? Let me know in the comments and link me to your reviews of My Life Next Door!


 


No comments:

Post a Comment