Pages

Tuesday 30 July 2013

 

Top ten Tuesday is a blog feature hosted by Broke and Bookish. This week the topic is: 
Top ten best beginnings and endings of books.

1) “Dear Friend, I am writing to you because she said you listen and understand and didn’t try to sleep with that person at that party even though you could have. Please don’t try to figure out who she is because then you might figure out who I am, and I really don’t want you to do that.” 
The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

It's just so perfect. It sets of the tone of the novel in a simple yet completely ideal way. I felt like I already knew the character, before I knew anything about them I felt them as a human, and that's just perfect to me.

2) “Blue Sargent had forgotten how many times she’d been told that she would kill her true love.”
 The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater

 I admit, it took me a minute to adjust to the name choice, but the promise of magic here is so real it cast me into a spell straight away.

3) “It’s so hard to talk when you want to kill yourself.” 
 –It’s Kind of A Funny Story by Ned Vizzini

This book pulled me in and sucked me under straight away. You're rooting for the MC from the very first line, and that is always ideal.


4)  “There is one mirror in my house. It is behind a sliding panel in the hallway upstairs. Our faction allows me to stand in front of it on the second day of every third month, the day my mother cuts my hair.” 
- Divergent by Veronica Roth

I love a good dystopian, and this opening screamed dystopian. Loved it.

 5) "When I wake up, the other side of the bed is cold. My fingers stretch out, seeking Prim’s warmth but finding only the rough canvas cover of the mattress. She must have had bad dreams and climbed in with our mother. Of course, she did. This is the day of the reaping."
- The Hunger Games, Suzanne Collins

 Once you finish the series, you understand the complete significance of this opening. The first thought Katniss has is of Prim. The second is that she is missing because of the reaping. It's a summary of the whole book series woven into the first page.


For the endings, I will tell you the books, but I won't quote them. I don't want to run the risk of spoiling them for some of you.



1) Eleanor and Park - Rainbow Rowell. 

2) The Fault In our Stars - John Green.

3) The Raven Boys - Maggie Stiefvater

4) Rules of Attraction - Simone Elkeles (I'm talking about the epilogue here)

5) You against Me - Jenny Downham



Agree? Disagree? Have some suggestions of your own? Let me know!

5 comments:

  1. I definitely agree with The Fault in Our Stars' ending. So sad and so perfect. And the quote from Divergent really makes me want to go and read it now. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ending is perfect, right? And you should go checkout Divergent, especially before the movie comes out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to read Eleanor and Park soon.

    Great list. And The Fault in Our Stars is epic and heartbreaking.
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  4. You must read Eleanor and Park ASAP! It's so good. There is a review for it on my blog that you should check out. It has some great GIF's!

    ReplyDelete