Pages

Sunday 21 July 2013

Sunday Sizzler




Sunday sizzler is a new feature I'm testing out on my blog. Basically, a Sunday sizzler is a book or book series that I will review that is red hot in current popular trends.

  

Published: March 27th, 2007
Page Count: 485
Genre: Paranormal, Romance, Vampires, Urban Fantasy
Source: E-book

Goodreads Summary:

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know...


---------------------------------------------------------------------- 


"He smelled of salt and blood, and only when his mouth came close to her ear did she understand what he was saying, and it was the simplest litany of all: her name, just her name.” 


I'm almost ashamed to admit that I've been putting off reading this series, but it's the truth. By the time news of this series reached me it was already kicking up a fuss, and, to be honest, I was hearing all the bad rumours. The, don't go there kind of rumours. There were even whispers of plagiarism (Note: read whispers as chants and yells.).  However, whilst thrift shopping in Wales on holiday I came across the first three books for a pound each. I don't care what anyone says, your curiosity would of been swayed for that price! 

And I'm so glad I stopped by that quite little charity shop that morning, because everything negative I had heard was rubbish. Well, not everything, but the majority. 
 
 Even in half demon hunter clothes, Clary thought, he looked like the kind of boy who'd come over your house to pick you up for a date and be polite to your parents and nice to your pets.
Jace on the other hand, looked like the kind of boy who'd come over your house and burn it down just for kicks
.

 The main female character, Clarissa (Clary) Fray is a bland, easily imprintable female lead. She's best friends with Simon, a character with more personality and appeal, but with whom she has no idea the true value of until he explains it to her. I wasn't a fan of her name, and I didn't care much for her personality, but I wasn't really offended by her either. Aside from her ridiculous hatred of any/all other females (spoiler: which seemed to include her mother because she barely bats and eye-lash at her kidnap and possible torture), she was actually kind of meh. Although, to be fair, she didn't really need to be more. Would it have been better if the female lead was the best character in the novel: sure! Would I have enjoyed the book any more: possibly. Do I wish Clary would have never existed: No. Like I said, she isn't really a major bother, she just isn't really major at all to me. Faceless, bland and easy enough for me to insert myself into her place. 

.
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/oh-goodie.gif 

Now, let's talk about the characters I did like.

In future, Clarissa," he said, "it might be wise to mention that you already have a man in your bed, to avoid such tedious situations."
You invited him into bed?" Simon demanded, looking shaken.
Ridiculous, isn't it?" said Jace. "We would never have all fit
.
 

 Ah, I just love the male lead Jace. I have an innate soft spot for snarky MC in my novels, and I refuse to be embarrassed about that. Jace is snarky and then some. And I love him. I love, love, love him. Just so you know. 
 Heart Beating

" “One of the Silent Brothers is here to see you. Hodge sent me to wake you up. Actually he offered to wake you himself, but since it's 5 a.m., I figured you'd be less cranky if you had something nice to look at."
"Meaning you?"
"What else?” "

That's not to say he didn't have his faults. His lack of knowledge of 'our world' was annoying. Especially since he has lived on the fringes of it for so long, but it was easy to over look. His ego was another thing. Not so much his snarky attitude, because we all know how much I love that, just his I'm better than anyone and everything attitude. The boy seemingly has no fear, which was hard to believe, everyone fears something, and yet all he fears is love. Yet in walks Clary, the girl with nothing about her, and he overcomes his one great fear faster than it takes to say What? Yeah right! 

I did love the world building of this novel. It was very Buffy like: everything just seemed to fit perfectly together. I loved Magnus, although I wish we had more glimpses into his and Alec's relationship. I also loved the glimpses of the institute, but would have loved more description of the interior. I wanted to know more. 
Hodge was another interesting character I felt was used too little, and when he was used it was flippantly.  


 
"Unfortunately," said Hodge, "we're all out of bitter revenge at the moment, so it's either tea or nothing.” 



I also couldn't get over the fact nobody, especially Clary, mentions the fact that Valentine has a ludicrous name. That one would never slip by me.

 http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/MorganFreeman-bobbing.gif


Over all I really enjoyed the book, and couldn't be happier that I invested my time into it before the release of the movie. If I could convince you all to do the same then I would be happy. Fall in love with this world in words, first. The book deserves that. 


 




1 comment:

  1. http://www.sizzlerreviews.com thank you due to the fact you've got been first-class to allocation tell once us. we will continually respect all you have got curtains right here due to the fact I recognize you're each one concerned next to our.

    ReplyDelete