Pages

Tuesday 16 July 2013

Top Ten Authors Who Deserve More Recognition

Hey, guys. Today I thought I would try something new. I've recently become aware of a feature over on brokeandbookish that occurs every Tuesday known as Top Ten Tuesday. The concept behind it is simple: every Tuesday a blogger over on B&B will answer a specific top ten list and then other bloggers, such as myself, will do the same and link back to their blog.

Simples, right?

The title behind this weeks Top Ten is: Top Ten Authors Who Deserve More Recognition.

First off, I would like to point out that in my every day friendship group I am the only one of my friends who proudly lists reading as a hobby. Usually my friends will not take notice of a book I have begged, and begged them to read until they see a movie trailer. And by then it's too late. (If you've ever heard the phrase 'But I don't need to read the book, I've seen the film' before then know that I feel your pain.)

Anyway, my point was that even though the authors on my list may be popular in the 'everybody in the freaking world has heard of them' sense, I'm going off the basis of authors I would love my bookphopic friends to recognise.

1) Tabitha Suzuma -If only my friends would read a book by Tabitha Suzuma, I would be so happy! After completing a Suzuma novel you sort of find yourself questioning everything: your life, your morales, your emotions, your capability of love - and just how far you would go for love. I'm not really sure what love is, but I do know that it stems from the brain, and not the heart, and Suzuma does a great job of unpeeling the complex nature of the brain.

2) John Green - You can't read a John Green novel without wanting to tell the world about it. He's genius at conveying the most intimate of emotions, the most complexing of thoughts in raw, honest and original ways.

3) Khaled Hosseini - If you've ever read The Kite Runner, then you will know exactly why Hosseini is on the list. Some novels offer you escapism, The Kite Runner offers you a slice of uncomfortable, anguish filled truth. It's beautiful in its brutality.

4) Jay Asher - I don't believe I've ever read a book that has made me as angry as Thirteen Reasons Why. Not at the plot or characters specifically, but at the reality in which they force you to face. The issues dealt with in TRW are provoking, and for that Jay Asher makes my list.

5)Stephen Chbosky - Whilst this author most definitely does not fly under the popular radar, he is barely even a blip on my friends. In fact, when I dragged four of my closest friends to the cinema to watch the movie adaptation of Perks of Being a Wallflower, only one knew it originated as a book, and none had any desire to read said book. I'd love to change that, which is why he is on the list.

6) Simone Elkeles - This author makes the list simply because, as a YA romance fan, her kissing scenes make me swoon. You know that line that snatches your breath, and you just have to read it again, and again, and again before moving forward? Elkeles is genius at that!

7) Suzanne Collins - Okay, OKAY, I know what you're thinking... EVERYONE has read the Hunger Games. EVERYONE has heard of this author, and you're right. Even my clueless friends have. BUT, for an author with as much success as Collins has, why do we know so little about her? By now I think I could tell you the decoration in Stephenie Meyer's bedroom the night she dreamed up Twilight, but I couldn't even tell you what nationality Collins was. I need to know more. Granted, her anonymity might be through choice, and I respect that, but it doesn't make me stop wishing she had the spotlight. So I'm giving it to her. Right here on my list. You're welcome.

8) Augusten Burroughs - I wish my friends knew of this man. I wish they knew of his great work. I live in hope that one day they will. Welcome to the list.

9) Maggie Stiefvater - As a Pagan it isn't often I come across a book that makes me fall in love with magic, especially the way it is portrayed in popular culture today. However, with The Raven Boys this author achieved that. And then some.

10) Christopher Rice - Last, but by no means least, we have the magnificence that brought us A Density of Souls. As the child of Anne Rice you expect great things, and he does not disappoint.

There you have it, my very first Top Ten Tuesday. Tune in next week, folks!














4 comments:

  1. I LOVE Maggie Stiefvater. She is one of my favourite authors

    Cait x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Collins and Stiefvater!!! Cool list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list, I love John Green, Stephen Chbosky, Maggie Stiefvater and Jay Asher as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you liked the list guys!

    ReplyDelete